Improving Security in Mosques
24th March 2018 @ 10:30 am - 1:00 pm
With the rise of the Far Right movements and Islamophobia, it is important that mosques’ leaders ensure that their premises continue to be safe for their users.
MINAB has gathered a panel of speakers who will advise on how to improve Security in our mosques, followed by a workshop led by Br Mohammed Kozbar, Chairman of the Finsbury Park Mosque in London.
Part I: The panel will address
- The main challenges mosques are facing in the UK in matter of security?
- What the local authorities can do?
- What the mosques management/direction can do?
- How to reassure/inform the users and get them involved in the process?
Br Mustafa Mohammad – Police Inspector
Mustafa Muhammad is a police Inspector with West Midlands Police with 28 years’ service. He is the chair of West Midlands Association of Muslim Police (WMAMP) and the President of the National Association of Muslim Police (NAMP).
The Vision of NAMP is ‘Muslims making a positive difference to Policing’ and its aims are:
- To promote understanding and awareness of Islam within the police service and the wider community.
- To influence the direction of national policies in the Police Service
- Promoting community cohesion and enhancing the safety of our communities.
Mustafa is also a level 5 qualified Coach and helps supports colleagues to achieve their aspirations and goals.
Br Muhammed Adrees Sharif – Active Member of the Muslim Community in Birmingham
Br Muhammed Adrees put his heart in serving the Community and the wider society “for the greater good” and helps inculcate positive behaviours and relationships both within the Muslim community and the wider society.
Mohammed is the Vice President of UK Islamic Mission Midland Zone and the Head of Youth at Paigham e Islam Masjid, Sparkhill, Birmingham and chairs at the Membership Committee of the MCB (Muslim Council of Britain).
He is also an active member of several organisations in the West Midlands:
- Police Independent Advisory Group (IAG)
- Police Stop & Search Scrutiny Panel
- Regional Leadership Group Mosaic Mentoring (HRH Prince’s Trust)
Khoja Shia Ithna-Asheri Muslim Community
A representative of the KSIMC of Birmingham will also join us.
Part II: Workshop
After the panel, a workshop will be proposed to provide the attendees with practical tools to implement in their organisations.
Trainer: Mohammed Kozbar
Mohammed Kozbar is the chairman of Finsbury Park Mosque, one of the most prominent Islamic centre in the UK, and the vice president of the Muslim Association of Britain (MAB), Mohammed holds a masters degree in Charity Management at St. Mary’s University.
He is also a member of the Islington Faiths Forum representing the Muslim Community in North London and a regular IB Times UK columnist, he also sits at the diversity panel of the ITV London news.
Open to people involved in Mosques and Islamic Institutions: Trustees, Managers, Volunteers, Islamic teachers.
Free – Limited places