The International Day of Peace, which is marked each year on 21 September, falls on a Friday this year.
The MINAB and other Muslim and faith based organisations are coordinating the participation of Mosques in marking the Day of Peace.
The MINAB would like to encourage Mosques to participate by dedicating the Friday sermon (Jummah Khutba) on peace.
Please click on flyer for a full view.
Also, you can email us a short video message about peace. The video should be no longer than 2 minutes, which will be included as part of the International Day of Peace publicity.
POINTERS FOR MOSQUES
As part of the International Day of Peace, this year to take place on a Friday on 21 September, we are encouraging mosques and Islamic centres to lead the wider community in marking the day by organising activities and utilising the Friday sermon. Mosques and Islamic Centres throughout the world will be marking the day, to promote peace and stress the importance and values of peace today.
Ideas for your mosque/centre:
1. Distribute leaflets this Friday after Jumu’a, available from the organizers, in advance of the International Peace Day – to build the momentum.
2. Announce this Friday that the International Peace Day will take place the following Friday.
3. On the day, 21 September:
- Encourage Imams to cover the importance of peace in Islam and peace in general terms in the Friday khutba.
- If you are planning a full sermon dedicated to peace, why not make copies available for worshippers and visitors.
- Announce any events and activities you may be holding in your mosque or centre.
- Issue media releases, saying why your mosque or centre is marking the day.
- Organise informal or formal meetings involving schools, members of different faiths and others to meet at your mosque or centre, to discuss and celebrate peace.
- Organise light refreshments to give a festive feel to the day.
- Organise drama and plays by school children, promoting peace.
- Put up posters and literature about peace.
- Utilise local media outlets to promote your activities.
4. Where possible team-up with other mosques and community centres to hold events together. To find out what others are doing contact the respective organisers listed in this leaflet.
You can download an editable template flyer for your activity.